Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Brave New World... Or Brave New 5000 year old World.

 Time for another update about your favorite South Korean teacher Scotty D! Two days ago marked the beginning of a very hectic couple of days which leads to Nari bong (Karaoke) tonight. I would like to talk to you about something that I learned on my first day here that I just plum forgot to post...showers. I want you to go into your bathroom, grab your shower door or curtain and give it a big hug and kiss. There are no showers at Korea. Let me give you some more detail. It is actually just a hose linked to the seat with a shower head on the top. Here is a picture.


Here is the aftermath:





              Not really the best picture but trust me the bathroom is now useless for the rest of the day unless you have no pants on (very awkward for my roommate). Also you cant leave any form of anything. I forgot to take the toilet paper out one day and I had a very nice array of spit wads...good times.
             So on to my first day of Orientation (bum bum bum). The first day was just filled with medical exams and introductions. I was in the first group at 7:00 am. People were just now feeling the Jetlag so it was kind of like a "dawn of the dead" movie. They had us form lines and we were not aloud to eat after 9 pm the day before so everyone was starving! I did meet some new friends because of our dual moans and groans about how early it was and the fact that there was no food in our bellies. I got to the shot lady and she kindly asked me to sit down, I did so. She reached for my right hand and told me what she was going to do in Korean. It translated to me "get ready for some pain!!!", so I did. The needle went in and I looked to the wall at my side. It took longer than the other teachers so I was wondering what was going on. I looked uneasy. She rightfully asked if I was ok? I replied "yeah, I just really hate shots". Without skipping a beat she pulled out the shot and said "give me your other arm". In shock I replied "you are kidding right?". I don't think she understood what I meant there. This time I had to look at the other teachers in line all with a face of that poor kid and I hope I don't get that nurse. Here is a picture of the cattle call they called medical exams.





             I then went to breakfast had my daily dose of Kimchi and a very interesting box of milk with soy beans on the cover. The best way I could describe it is that it is like Almond milk. I really looked awkward and quite touristy taking a picture of this one. By the way, it is very difficult to check the nutritional facts when you don't know what the numbers are in Korean.



             We then went back to the lecture halls for some Introductions of staff and some important information of the week. Overly, it was very boring but they did throw some really amazing videos in them. I will upload them now and hopefully they play on this blog. If not I will load them onto youtube and put links. These are really beautiful performances. The resolution on the second one came out really nice. I am not sure why my camera didn't take all of them that good considering I just turned it on pause and then record again. Oh well...enjoy. 



                     After this very long process, we went to our first round of lectures and spent a lot of time repeating the sane thing over and over and over again. The things that they tell you are Korean kids are very shy and when you speak to them (as a foreigner) they will not make eye contact and start blushing like crazy. Another thing is that I have to learn a new wave. If you wave like an American they will get really offended because that is how they wave for dogs to come. You have to wave with your palm down and have the direction towards your stomach. Imagine you just touched something really hot. 

              Finally the night has come and it was time to hit the town. Keep in mind there are three hundred and fifty teacher in this small little area right now so Busan was just bum rushed. We mostly broke up in little groups divided by countries. The British and Irish did their own things. The South Africans did their own thing. The Australians, you guessed it...Did their own thing. The Canadians however joined any group that seemed nice. Here is a picture of us outside our first bar which was located on the fourth floor of a complex...no elevators. I can't even imagine having to re-stock the bar every week.

(P.S. This is only like 1/4th of our group)

This picture is for the boys:


             Everywhere!!! Simply put, these are EVERYWHERE!!!

                We walked around and the city is so lit up. It was like walking around New York except the drivers drive on the side walks sometimes.


           If you turn your head just slightly you can see how high up the businesses go. Sometimes all the way up to the 11th floor!  In the middle of this sign you can see the only English Acronym. That is right kids...PC BONG! This is a place where people (pre teen boys) go to play World of Warcraft and Starcraft. I didn't go inside yet but I was told they are sometimes depressing. Apparently there has been a Starcraft related death last week or month and a teenager died because he played so long and forgot to eat and drink. A Brave New World Indeed... Here is some familiarity though: 

         But I don't need that Americanized food. I am going to be strong and not partake in any Western food for a while...


          Come on sue me I had a long night. Especially when we realized that we can drink on the streets. Here is a picture of us in front of a family mart (7-11) partaking in some SO-JU  in little dixie cups we had just boughten. SO-JU is like a watered down vodka that has different flavors. I think we had rubbing alcohol flavor...yum. Well I am a little behind on my days and I am sorry but I will catch up I promise. The time is going by really fast and I can't believe I go to my new home in three days. Well until the next post, this is Scott saying GUMBAE!!! (CHEERS).






             

3 comments:

  1. Ok the video didn't work. I will post them on You tube and give you links soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shower situation is very similar in Sweden. Hold the shower nozzle, look straight ahead, and don't move. I'll share a secret with you though. If you have a shower like that in your apartment or dorm, find a hardware store. They should have a thing that's like a giant squeegee on a broom handle. If not, you can make one. Use that to scrape the water down the drain after showering. I assume there's a drain in the floor anyway. Good luck! And don't get hooked on Starcraft! I hear it's the national sport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learn to rotate your pictures lol

    Dude that nite-life looks like it would be a blast, sounds like your having a good time.

    Just saw this post as I had bookmarked this on the first one and kept thinking "WTF scott, post more blogs!"

    ReplyDelete