Thursday, February 17, 2011



 Alright so after a very long week of saying goodbyes and partying a little hard I just arrived to Busan, South Korea and have been saying many hellos while parting to hard. I left LAX at 12:30 am on Wednesday and arrived at Incheon airport in Seoul at around 7:00 am FRIDAY! I don't think I will ever get used to that. The plane arrived twenty minutes late but it didn't lose any of my luggage which I think is quite possibly a first. I got off the plane and walked myself over to customs where the guy in the immigration office gave me kind of a dirty look. I originally thought because I was American but I think it might have been this B.A. scar on my face. He was scared for his family and his fellow South Korean Citizens citizens.



              Like I said earlier my plane arrived a bit late which put a damper on my relaxation plans. Instead I had to run to the baggage claim, go to the currency exchange, buy my cross country bus ticket and get to the bus terminal in fifty minutes. It was a photo finish but I made it. South Korea is a beautiful country but with all of the snow that poured this week I could not take any pictures outside the bus for some scenery, I will try again later. So like I was saying I made it to the bus and got on in a knick of time. The bus was practically empty except for the back (where I decided to sit). I sat and all of a sudden a couple came on and the woman wanted to sit towards the back. The man looked at me and spent the next minute reprimanding the woman and they sat more in the middle of the bus (B.A. scar in action again.) Here is a picture of the Seoul bus station from my window.
               I arrived in Busan and regretted packing so much immediately. I could not find a taxi right away and it was killer trying to move these pieces of luggage around. I did meet my first friend though. His name is Mark and he is from a small town in Canada. He is also teaching in Daegu and we have a lot in common. We finally found the taxis and had to split up because I packed to damn much. We arrived to the dorms and headed towards registration. The South Korean girls working the registration seemed really excited to see us, as if they were waiting just for us :). We walked over and they took our information and asked us if we knew eachother. We both said "not until like thirty minutes ago" but they still asked if we wanted to be roommates. We were both very happy with this. The view from our room kind of reminds me of "Inception", how about you?


               After a fourteen hour flight and five hour bus ride I decided that I needed a beer. Mark agreed. We walked down the street and noticed that all of the signs were in Korean. We had no idea where to go and stopped at the first English sign that we saw which was "Chicken and Beer". The place didn't have any windows and was an upstairs restaurant. Everything about it made me think "don't do it" but we went up the stair anyways. We got to the top of the stairs and a dog started barking at us. A woman came to the door, picked up the dog and smiled. I asked "do you have beer?" and she replied in Korean. I wanted to leave this situation right aways so I nodded at whatever she said, smiled and walked down the stairs. Mark was pleased at what just went down.

               Right next door was a restaurant which was all in Korean so Mark and I decided to go in and try our luck. The waiter came over and didn't speak a word of English. I asked for two beers and he smiled. I assumed he knew what that was. He pointed at something on the menu and was like "three orders?" I replied "No only two beers". Mark then realized that he was asking if we wanted some food. We had no idea what they had to offer and he said the "pig was really good". We said ok and the pig was brought to us. But the pig was not cooked and wayyyy too much. It was just raw pieces of Bacon. The waiter turned on a skillet in front of us and walked away. We looked at him and he brought back eight trays full of different vegetables and goodies. We were still confused how we should start.




               Finally the waiter got that we were confused and showed us that we were cooking everything ourselves. It ended up being quite and experience cooking the vegetables, pork and rice. We were having so much fun that we didn't realize that we ended up eating all of the pork and sucking down three beers each. We already decided that we were going to hit up Seoul at the end of orientation since we have a few days free. We tried to ask the waiter and the cook what we just experienced and he had no idea what we meant so we left with a gumsahamnida (thank you) and left. We also left a nice tip and the waiters came out side to see us off. Awesome! I just got the internet and know that there will be many more adventures but I wanted to let you all know that I made it safely and am already causing trouble.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds confusing at times, but still pretty exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Korea for half an hour and already making friends and having fun. I would expect nothing less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, sounds like a pretty awesome adventure man.
    Keep the posts coming, this was a pretty fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice read, Scott. Even the raw bacon looks appetizing in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you made is safely!! I'm sure there will be many more moments like your dining experience :) Can't wait to read and see more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you made it safely and are already making friends and causing trouble. Though that was expected. :) That's kinda cool about cooking the food yourselves, did look pretty tasty. Can't wait to read more about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have nine more days before you fall behind your self-imposed quota... Tick, tock, tick, tock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Scott. Thanks so much for setting up the blog so we can all enjoy Korea vicariously through your adventures! Glad you made it there safely, have a roommate (Hi Mark) and found beer! Also glad you like cooking as it sounds like you may be doing that more than expected! Keep the posts coming - we loved reading about your experience thus far - and can't wait to read the next installment.

    ReplyDelete